Thursday, August 27, 2009

Notes v/s reviews

At one point in time, I thought that the only way to write about a book or movie is to write reviews. So I read book and movies reviews, read up on them as well and started writing them. But I always felt very constrained by the form. There is a format and one must abide by that format. The format must have worked for a while but then I started outgrowing it. Till one day, it felt all wrong and I dreaded even writing reviews because I was trying to squeeze my reactions into a form that didn’t fit me. My reactions were very personal, my interpretations were shaped by my reading, and the structure of the review didn’t acknowledge it at all. But write I must. So I’ve started writing notes. The wonderful thing about writing notes is there is no one stringent form! I don’t have to worry about sequence as long as it is logically structured. I feel free; I can breathe and revel in the formlessness of writing notes.

[Via http://southwestsun.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment