Sunday, August 23, 2009

Book Review #2 - Power Play by Joseph Finder

I really enjoyed this book. I’ll tell you that right at the beginning to remove any sense of surprise. Which is nothing like the book at all.

The story concerns the senior executives of the Hammond Aerospace Corporation who find themselves in the Canadian wilderness on one of those off-site meetings to ‘decide’ things. The problem that manifests right at the beginning is an accident with their latest airliner, which unfortunately has managed to lose a few components during flight jeopardising orders in a cuthroat marketplace.

That is the least of their worries because when they get to their wilderness lodge they are ambushed by a posse of locals who appear to be after money. Lots of it.

Enter Jake Landry, a last minute guest of the execs (who wouldn’t normally be invited due to his lowly status). He’s the man that takes charge, and eventually saves the day.

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed every single word of every single page that I read except for the last ones. Joseph Finder is a successful thriller writer for one very good reason, he can create believeable plots and characters that ride a story-wave from Page One. The problem I had with this book (as well as the one I had with Paranoia), is that the hero of the hour takes the moral high ground when the big prize is in place. In Power Play, the CEO offers Jake a high-status adviser role within the depleted Hammond Aerospace executive community, yet he doesn’t accept.

WHY?

If it was me, the stress and trial of what I’d been through would make me want the prize. I’d take the money even if it meant ditching a few morals. However, what do I know? I’m the one writing the review, and not writing the bestseller. Keep doing what you do Mr Finder, but the ending seems a little contrived.

[Via http://bookworm73.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment