Monday, August 10, 2009

Myron's Back & Taking on Terrorists: A Review of Harlan Coben's "Long Lost"

 I have been a fan of Harlan Coben’s since I read Tell No One. It’s a great thriller that kept me guessing until the last page. Then as I sought out more of Coben’s books, I discovered his series detective Myron Bolitar and I found another reason to like him.

The Myron Bolitar books were Coben’s earlier works, then he took a break from Myron to write his stand-alone thrillers. He came back to Myron with the 2006 novel Promise Me and now once again with Long Lost.

I still enjoy reading about Myron and Win but it’s just not the same as the earlier books were. Something’s missing and I’m not sure what it is. Maybe it’s because Myron himself talks about how he’s getting older.

Long Lost also takes Myron out of New Jersey where all the other books have been centered. Much of Long Lost takes place in France. Myron goes there to help his former lover find out what happened to her ex-husband who disappeared mysteriously. Myron soon finds himself taking on international terrorists. Win soon joins him in his pursuit, only to find that they may be facing a situation too big for them.

As with all of Coben’s books, Long Lost is fast paced and exciting. I liked it better than Promise Me, but it still isn’t up to the standard of the early Myron Bolitar books. However, if you read it, you’ll find yourself hooked on Coben’s stories just as I was.

[Via http://jimsbookblog.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment