Saturday, August 22, 2009

The Freedom of The Christian

Recently I read The Freedom of the Christian by Martin Luther on line at Theology Network.

Far from doing a book review now, although I do suggest you read it, is more so just to talk about the wonderful theology that Luther’s eyes were opened too.

When Luther first understood that he was saved by Grace through faith it totally changed him and he wrote many great works after that. He was said to write quicker than the printers could publish! I think the illustration I like most is the one he uses much of a prostitute marrying a King. He explains the doctrine of justification by faith in using this example. If a prostitute marries a King then when she marries him it doesn’t mean that suddenly she is not a prostitute and that she has not done all of the things she has done, but now because of her marriage to the King she becomes Queen because she is married to the King! In marriage don’t the Bride and Groom vow ‘everything I am is yours and everything I have I share with you’? So it is the same with Jesus imparting His Righteousness to us. When we are reconciled to God through faith in Jesus then, although we remain sinners, we become righteous by our association and joining to the Righteous One! Everything Jesus is becomes ours because of our joining to Him, and everything we have which is sinful he takes on Himself. I love this illustration and the greatness of what it illustrates.

This is the whole basis and essence of the Christian Faith, and it is what our freedom stems from. As I try to learn more of Jesus I want to learn to love this doctrine with all my heart as I realise that I am so sinful and that I am in desperate need of a great Saviour. Praise God for Jesus! Trough Him we are totally clean, totally free! This means we don’t have to try and earn God’s approval because Jesus has done this, and now God looks at us and is totally happy with us because He sees Jesus’ righteousness, this is truly awesome!

[Via http://xandercoomber.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment