Sunday, August 9, 2009

Lisey's Story

I started this book on Friday evening and finished it between 6 and 7 am Saturday morning.  Obviously that is why I’m so tired today but I really thought I’d be able to sleep all day to make up for staying up all night.  I mean really, what am I doing tonight but staying up all night?

But I didn’t get to sleep so I’m very tired.  Hmmm…I seem to remember having said this earlier so I’ll skip all that stuff this time.

Lisey’s Story is by Stephen King for those of  you who don’t know that.  My sister was telling me it was a scary book – I thought I had read it before but once I got into it I realized I was thinking of Gerald’s Game also by King.

The story is about a woman whose husband dies.  They were madly in love and had been married for over 20 years.  He was a famous writer & several people want access to his unpublished manuscripts.  When she won’t grant their wishes, one of them encourages a madman to persuade her.  She starts delving not only into her husband’s past but also into memories she has worked so hard to put behind the purple curtain of her mind.

It is a good story – she has several sisters who also have small roles but reminded me of my own sisters.  The madman was truly mad and her husband’s past was exceptionally strange.

I was a little disappointed in the theme of a “alternate reality” place but I realized that this book was written back when several authors were playing with that subject matter, including Koontz.  I got rather tired of it back then and had hoped this one was not about that.  However, I also remembered how, back when it was prevalent through literature, I could kind of understand it because we all have places we go to in our mind when life is threatening to drown us.

The book talks about both a physical trip to this alternate reality but also just the mental trip.  An example is the husband could disappear all together whereas one of her sisters could only go there in her mind, her body was still in the present.

I won’t say it is one of King’s best – I have a few others I liked way more – but it was good and kept me interested.  I’m thinking the next book of his that I will probably check out from the library and read will be “The Stand” which was always intimidating because it is so darn thick.

[Via http://seamonster02.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment