Sunday, December 20, 2009

Nine lessons and a mince pie

To church this evening for carols by candlelight.  Nothing can replace singing the traditional carols with the descant on the last verse or that funny shifting-about thing the organ does when everyone sings together.  What’s that called?  You all sing in unison and the organ does a weird thing of its own.  We did them all: Once in Royal – the traditional choirboy on the first verse replaced by two teenage girls (Mark: “What’s a descant?” Me: “Duh!”); Hark the Herald, the First Nowell (I nearly wrote “The First Newell” which would have been a member of my grandfather’s family some generations ago), While Shepherds Washed – sorry, watched: and of course, Come all Ye Faithful with the descanty and organ-doing-its-own-thing bits.  Grand.  On Tuesday there is Beer and Carols at a local pub but I don’t think I’ll go as I’m off alcohol.

I am lending someone “A Suitable Boy” for a trip to India.  Ideal reading!  If you haven’t read it, do so immediately.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Suitable_Boy

What do you want for xmas?  I want a new house.

It occurs to me that we haven’t heard from Ladimir and Oestrogen for a long time.  I’ll try and find out what they’re up to.

TTFN

PS  If it seems like I’m blogging a lot lately, it’s because I’ve broken up for Xmas and will not be doing any more serious writing till the New Year.

[Via http://lizardyoga.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment