Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The inheritance of loss (Kiran Desai) – Book review

When I started reading this book, I felt its too tough for me to understand. But as I kept reading it, I realized it s a page turner. The way Kiran Desai has put across the beauty of Kanchenjunga, the miseries of the people staying in Sikkim, the pathetic condition of Indians going abroad, the poverty, the Indo-Nepal war, the UK, the USA, is amazing.

I have always been proud of my country, but this book made me ask questions to myself, what is it that I am really proud of? Is it the beauty of the landscapes in India or the hatred among the citizens of one country?

There are 5-6 stories going on at the same time in the entire book, still she managed to tell it all in just 234 pages. All the stories are so well written that there could be a separate novel written for ech of those stories.

As Salman Rushdie says, Kiran Desai is a terrific writer! Three cheers to the girl who penned down this amazing novel. She very well deserved the Man Booker Prize for it.

[Via http://readersden.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment