Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Book Review: Marked

Marked P. C. Cast   Paperback, 320 pages St. Martin’s Press

May 01, 2007  

Once again, apologies for the lag time between reviews!  Things have been really hectic and I’ve been so busy I’ve let some things slide through the cracks.  I actually finished Marked over a week ago so this will be more of a mini review with the summary provided by Borders.com:

Enter the dark, magical world of The House of Night, a world where vampyres have always existed. Sixteen-year-old Zoey Redbird has just been Marked as a fledgling vampyre and joins the House of Night, a school where she will train to become an adult vampire. That is, if she makes it through the Change–and not all of those who are Marked do.

 

Sadly after about a week and a half after reading this book, not a lot of details jump out at me to pass on to you.  I didn’t absolutely love it, but I did enjoy reading it and I got sucked into the story from the first few pages.  Some of it seemed a bit too cookie-cutter for my taste (a hot vampire fledgling that sets his sights on the main character, an antagonist that is nasty and mean to the MC for no apparent reason, etc.) and I kept wishing that the teenage lexicon wasn’t constantly getting slammed in my face (if Zoey made any more smartass parenthetical remarks or used the words “poopie” or “boobies” one more time…), but it was really hard to put the book down because I was so drawn into the world PC & Kristin Cast created.

I loved the concept of the vampyres worshipping the ancient Greek goddess of night and all the ties to Cherokee rituals and beliefs.  And I’m really intrigued by the differences that make Zoey stand out from the other fledglings (completely filled in Mark, bloodlust, etc.) so I hope I find out the reason for that eventually.   The characters that make up her new group of friends at the school are great and provide a lot of delicious sarcasm and witty retorts.

The end was incredibly climactic and actually got pretty intense at times and it definitely left me wanting to continue the series and find out what happens next.  I’m hoping that as the story progresses and Zoey gets older and (hopefully) wiser, the writing will reflect that as well (Hmmm…deja vu, didn’t I just say that about Percy Jackson?). 

After reading Vampire Academy I found that I liked this book better and will probably read the next one before continuing the other series. 

But again, I didn’t love it as I hoped I would.  Ever since reading the Harry Potter and Twilight series I’ve been searching for more YA books that would captivate me just as much and so far I’ve been unsuccessful.  It makes me wonder if those were just flukes and YA really just isn’t for me. 

Have you read this series?  What did you think?  Can you recommend any YA books that will change my mind?

[Via http://fictionfanatic.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment