Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Snow was general all over Ireland

… one of the more readable sentences of James Joyce, who pulled off the unfeasible act of being a genius and totally unreadable at the same time.  I can’t tell you how many times I’ve pulled “Finnegan’s Wake” off the shelf and attempted to get into it: I only ploughed through “Ulysses” because I had to for my degree.  But “The Dead” – “The Dead” is another matter.  If you haven’t read these stories, do so immediately.

http://www.online-literature.com/james_joyce/958/

I write this because we have snow.  Snow which can be called snow: snow which covers things and makes them white; snow which is threatening to cancel buses, which may mean I don’t get to see Peter and Andy after all.  It has yet to be determined whether this snow is the Right or the Wrong sort of snow.  I’ll keep you posted.

Off to the library today.  It’s all over between me and Brummie, a Guardian crossword compiler to whose head I definitely do not have access.  Unable to solve a Rufus one yesterday – I’m beginning to think that Araucaria and I may be soul mates after all.

Phone call from Steve last night who has seen Avatar 3D (apparently the most expensive 3D film ever made – but aren’t they all?) and who, I think, said it wasn’t good but he enjoyed it.  Something like that.

I’m not looking forward to going to the library today – it will be cold.  I have enjoyed my Christmas break and am feeling quite relaxed.

Enjoy the snow – keep warm and eat plenty of fluids – or is that druids?  Apparently some people have been snowed in at a pub in the Derbyshire Dales for several days.  Tragic.  I used to dream of being snowed in at a pub in Derbyshire.  Or anywhere really.

Kirk out.

Kirkdale out.

[Via http://lizardyoga.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment