Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Book Review: Talking to the Dead

Have you ever lost someone you loved so deeply you had no idea what to do with yourself in their absence?  I can answer for myself and say that I have, and more than likely you have, too.   Bonnie Grove reveals this overwhelming and inescapable grief in her book Talking to the Dead.

Kate Davis is a newly widowed 20-something who struggles with her grief in such a severe way that I hurt for her myself.  In the months following her husband’s death,  Kate begins to hear her dead husband talking to her and eventually screaming at her, which sends her to the breaking point in her sanity.  Learning dark secrets about her dead husband does not help, either.

Kate tries to find a way out of her sadness and disconnected mind through a series of shrinks, as well as a support group.  She eventually meets a pastor named Jack who tries his hardest to help Kate understand that there is a God that truly, truly loves her and wants to call Kate His.

This book gives a thorough and transparent view of not only grief, but a soul desperately searching for some form of relief.  Grove forces the reader to stare grief in the eyeballs in her book – and I applaud her for it.

I found myself feeling sad, alone, frightened, and angry, right along with Kate.  Bonnie Grove has written an incredible novel that has left me feeling breathless and refreshed.  I honestly don’t remember the last time I had such a wonderful journey through a book.

I recommend this selection highly!  Please, please read it.  I know I cannot wait to read my next Bonnie Grove book.

No comments:

Post a Comment