Saturday, March 20, 2010

Book Review - #1 - "Master's of Rome" *5 stars out of 5*

It seems appropriate for the first book review be of the greatest series of novels that I’ve ever read. As the family story goes, the Master’s of Rome series started with Uncle KC maybe 10 years ago. He read it through and passed it along to Granny, who never quite finished as it got too bloody. Uncle Jon was next, reading all 6 (#7 released in 2007) books straight through, often calling into work sick so he could read at home. Last summer, Jon told me it was my time.

The works are Historical Fiction – detailed research of historical facts woven into a story.

From Wikipedia:

Masters of Rome is a series of historical fiction novels by author Colleen McCullough (b. 1937) set in ancient Rome during the last days of the old Roman Republic; it primarily chronicles the lives and careers of Gaius Marius, Lucius Cornelius Sulla, Pompey the Great, Julius Caesar, and the early career of Caesar Augustus. It spans from January 1, 110 BC through to January 16, 27 BC.

I love the stories of ancient Rome. I loved this series. Obviously, most of the main characters were male, and the author, Colleen McCullough, did such an incredible job or writing from the male perspective you’re forced to wonder where she got her insight.

Each book is thick – 700 to 1,000 pages – so plan to avoid all other books for at least 8 months…and trust me, that won’t be a problem. It took me roughly 7 months to finish, a month of which was while I was in Thailand.

Tips: Try used book stores to piece the series together, and READ THEM IN ORDER, don’t skip.

I never read a book more than once (feel the same way about most movies), but I do plan to revisit this series at some point in the future.

Rating: Easy….5 stars out of 5

[Via http://jessefowler.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment