Friday, July 17, 2009

HPHBP Review (warning - contains spoilers)

Yes.  Potter.  Very pleasantly surprised by the sixth film, since the same director did the fifth one well, but not too wisely – ie it was much too short.  I guess he looked at the length of the book and panicked.  As anyone would.  So.  Yes.  I’m impressed by how the same cast has followed through all the films – not only in the main parts – which, as the actors have gone through adolescence and are now young adults, is no mean feat, but all the minor parts as well.  So far as I can see, the only change occurred when Richard Harris, who was a great Dumbledore, had the temerity to die after the first film.  One of the great pleasures for me is in watching the children grow up.

There’s a lot of humour in this film, necessarily so because the stories grow darker as the books progress.  Clearly some of the people in the cinema hadn’t read the book, because they were totally shocked when Snape killed Dumbledore.  I was completely gripped throughout the 2 1/2 hours and my first thought on exiting was that i wanted to see it again.

One thing they didn’t do so much (or at least, i didn’t notice it) was to tell the minor stories in the background (eg by a look exchanged, or some people arguing – something which is never explained but which those who know the books will understand.)  I think that what they’re doing, now the series is coming to its climax, is concentrating on the main plot – which in itself is complicated enough to demand all your attention.

I count myself a sophisticated reader – but I couldn’t guess what would happen at the end of the seventh book.  If you don’t know, here’s what happened:

Oh, damn!  We’re out of time.  See you tomorrow.

Kirk out.

PS  Read it yourself.  It’s good.  Honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment