Saturday, July 18, 2009

BOOK REVIEW: Good to Great

Good to Great by Jim Collins

About a week ago, I finally finished up Good to Great by Jim Collins. I had read almost the entire book and then put it aside for a few months. Not one to leave things unfinished, I picked it up and read the last two chapters. First, let me tell you after reading Good to Great, I found myself wanting to read Jim Collins previous book, Built to Last. What I enjoyed about Good to Great is that Collins used empirical data to support his claims. Collins doesn’t launch into a conjecture contrived of the “wisdom of ages” to guide a good company to greatness. Instead, he and his colleagues reviewed the entire data set, not a sample, of the companies that went from good to great.

I took away three concepts from Good to Great. The Hedgehog Concept, Level 5 Leadership, and the Flywheel. In a nutshell, the Hedgehog Concept has one ask, about one’s own company, “What are you deeply passionate about?”, “What can you be the best in the world at?”, and “What drives your economic engine?” The Level 5 Leader builds greatness “through a paradoxical blend of personal humility and professional will.” And, the Flywheel Concept summarized states there is no “miracle moment” in greatness but rather a buildup of greatness through “continued improvement and the delivery of results.”

I recommend Good to Great to any startup employee and management in any ongoing concern. Both entrepreneurs and “old hats” will find at least one nugget of gold, if not more, in this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment