Saturday, June 13, 2009

How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth

How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth

  • Authors: Gordon D. Fee & Douglas Stuart
  • Paperback: 288 pages
  • Publisher: Zondervan; 3rd edition 
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0310246040
  • ISBN-13: 978-0310246046

    .
  • Westminster Bookstore
  • Amazon
  • CBD
  • Dove Booksellers
  • .

    This isn’t a formal review or anything, but I’ve been reading Gordon Fee and Douglas Stuart’s How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth for the last two days and I’m really impressed.  I can’t say that I’ve learned anything new (yet, I’m only 4 chapters in) but I feel vindicated while reading because it’s reinforcing things that I’ve been saying for a long time.  In fact, in the past couple of months I’ve been giving a lot of thought to the topics addressed in this book because I really want to take a more active teaching role at the church I’ve been attending.  While F&S present the material a bit differently than I would they’re saying essentially the same things that I would say, but they’re saying them (probably) better! 

    It’s also kind of crazy that they started teaching exegesis with 1Corinthians since that’s the book I’d like to teach through first.  As you all know, I’m a Pentecostal and I attend a Charismatic church.  Charismatics are notorious for celebrating the very things that Paul rebukes the Corinthians for.  There’s something wrong when one can read a text that explicitly condemns a certain practice (e.g., uninterpreted tongues in corporate worship) and then do that very thing while claiming to “stand on the Bible.”  If I could get this book into the hands of every person I knew then I would.  I think it would go a long way towards correcting this kind of Bible reading.  Lord willing I’ll be able to take over some of the teaching responsibilities and share some of the things I’ve learned over the years and if/when this happens I’ll definitely be consulting this text a lot because it’s aimed at the audience I’d be teaching. 

    More thoughts to come I’m sure…

    B”H

    No comments:

    Post a Comment