Sunday, November 15, 2009

Eat Pray Love (what more do you need?)

I don’t mean to do it, but I seem to read books in pairs, similar stories with similar conflicts and themes. This book mirrors my previous book review- to an extent- of Mennonite in a Little Black Dress. (minus the ex-husband who met a guy on gay.com) This story is about a woman who realizes she is trapped under years of anger, angst, and shame and eventually becomes a mere shell of her former vivacity. Her strident lengths to control and dictate her life have resulted in utter failure and the loss of everything she thoughts was important and expected for success. She departs on a year-long journey to learn how to be a healthy, balanced, godly human. She travels to Italy, India, and then to Indonesia on her journey eventually learning how to… yes, that’s it: Eat, Pray and then to Love. It is a brilliantly written story of self re-discovery and I found several points that significantly impacted me.

Unfortunately, I was so excited to send these two books to my mom for her to read that I sent them UPS before writing this post. That means I don’t have a quippy excerpt to include at the end of this post to illustrate the story. So, you’ll just have to trust me- it’s a fantastic book and you should read it. Do it… seriously. Go out and buy/borrow this book and read every single page.

No comments:

Post a Comment